hymnNavigation

History of Lutheran Church of the Cross

In 1954 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of the Pacific Southwest of the United Lutehran Church in America had a survey made of Rialto, California for the purpose of planting a Lutheran congregation in this area. On January 23, 1955 the first services were held at the McKeowns studios with 56 people in attendance. Through the following months, locations and sites had been investigated for the proper location to build a church. On July 10, 1955 the ten-acre parcel of land was purchased. On October 9, 1955 Rev. Dr. James P. Beasom presided over the first worship services held on the newly purchased property. Through Rev. Dr. Beasom’s guidance and enthusiasm, the congregation was officially organized on April 8, 1956. Worship, Christian education, outreach to the community and fellowship have been strong ministries in this congregation ever since.

Pastors who have served at Lutheran Church of the Cross:

Rev. Charles Clark
January 1955-October 1955

Rev. Dr. James Beasom
October 1955 to November 1959

Rev. R.O. Luke
August 1960 to August 1962

Rev. Kenneth Baumhoff
September 1962 to January 1969

Rev. Karl Johnson
February 1969 to June 1969

Rev. Loren Buelow
July 1969 to May 1976

Rev. Roshandeen Joseph Ramnarine
October 1976 to June 1999

Rev. Roger Patterson
July 1999 to November 2000

Rev. Birchel Robert Dew
November 2000 to December 2007

Rev. Kent Tuchino
March 2008 to October 2008

Rev. Lara Janssen
November 2008 to present

Graced by the past…Called to the Future